Thursday, September 3, 2009

The jury is in. We have a good eater!

Ian has now eaten two different vegetables. On Sunday, we introduced sweet potatoes to him and he didn't even react! I put the spoon in his mouth. He mushed it around, swallowed and then looked at me for more. It was like he'd been eating sweet potatoes for years! He had more of a reaction (negative) to the rice cereal that I made with water instead of breast milk. And since the pediatrician says that we can introduce new foods every 3-5 days, we decided to try sweet peas tonight. I was fully prepared for him to spit it out, but nope, he downed that too. He paused after the first spoonful hit his mouth like he was trying to figure out what was going on. But he didn't make any icky faces and swallowed like a champ. I think he likes the consistency of the sweet peas. But I'm so happy that he's such a good eater! It certainly makes my life easier. Now that we know he will eat vegetables, we will introduce a fruit next.
Ian's also been moving around a lot when I put him down on the floor. Gone is the time when I put him down and come back 5 minutes later to find him in the same place. He loves being on his tummy now. He pushes up on his arms and scoots backwards. I found him halfway across the room, off the rug and up against the wall today. And yesterday he was trying to get into the bottom of the exersaucer. Today he was pushing up on all fours and getting his knees underneath him. If he figures out how to move forward, I think he's strong enough to start crawling. Yikes! My husband and I really need to think about baby proofing the house!

And as for the weight update, at 5.5 months, Ian weighed 17 pounds, 13 ounces.

Tomorrow, we are going in for a trial run with day care. My biggest concern is how many bottles to bring and how much milk to put in the bottles! Ian has never had a drop of formula and has exclusively breastfed since birth. Although he takes the bottle when we give it to him now and then, I really have no idea how much milk he takes in on any given day. It's all very exciting!

No comments: