Thursday, September 10, 2009

First Tooth - 5 months, 3 weeks

Ian appears to be cutting his first tooth - the right front one on the bottom! He woke up crying last night at 3 am. He did this the night before and went back to sleep within 15 minutes, so we didn't think much of it. Except he kept crying and crying last night. I soothed him after 30 minutes by picking him up and holding him, but as soon as I put him back in his crib, he started crying again. I didn't want to feed him because I didn't think he was hungry and I didn't want him getting back into the habit of expecting food in the middle of the night. So after another 15 minutes of crying, I finally suspected teething and stuck my fingers in his mouth with a little baby orajel and sure enough, I felt the rough edge of a little tooth. I also gave him a little Tylenol and he fell asleep again at 4 am. In the light of day, I can see the white edge of the tooth poking out of his gum. How exciting! This also explains why he has been so fussy while nursing lately. He's been pulling off a lot and smacking me with his hand. The doctor said that I could start using Motrin now that he's 6 months old and so I gave him some of that today. Let's just hope he doesn't use this new tooth on me!

No comments: