Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Mastitis - I Haz It

I woke up on Monday morning at 4:30 am and my right breast was engorged and really super duper painful. After much groaning and rolling over, I decided that I needed to get up and pump. I was surprised that I needed to do this since Ian has been sleeping through the night for the last month and a half and I haven't had a problem. I think things got screwy because last week was my first week back at work and so I was pumping a lot more than breastfeeding. Anyway, I pumped and my boob felt mildly better but still hurt. I tried to go back to bed but I was just sort of feeling miserable and cold. I got through the day at work, but my boob still hurt when I came home last night. I showed it to my husband and he noticed that it was pretty red on the underside. Ruh roh. Those are some good signs of mastitis (or so says Dr. Google). I debated for a long time whether or not my symptoms were bad enough to go to the doctor. I had a lot of breast tenderness and the redness alarmed me. But I had no fever or aches or other flu-like symptoms. But, hey, I LOVE medical care (and I'll admit that I'm a hypochondriac that was slightly worried that my symptoms meant some strange form of breast cancer) and so I decided to see my midwife today. She said it was really good that I came in. She wasn't absolutely sure it was mastitis but she said that giving me a course of antibiotics was probably 80% the right thing to do and 20% overkill. Within hours of taking the first antibiotic pill, I felt better. The pain and redness were almost gone. And the body aches that I had (which I had attributed to weekend painting) were also almost gone. To me, this is proof that I did, in fact, have mastitis. I know that antibiotics can work that quickly because when I have UTIs, I always feel better within hours of taking the antibiotic. So now I'm REALLY happy that I went for medical care because apparently this could have gotten a lot worse really fast.

My only bitch...this is a TEN-day course of antibiotics! And they have to be taken FOUR times a day! And they have to be taken on an empty stomach - so 1 hour before eating or 2-3 hours after eating. Oh well.

1 comment:

Meg. said...

"I can haz mastitis?" =)

You poor thing! That sounded uber painful.

My only experience with mastitis was learning about it, extensively, in one of my agriculture classes in college (cows). It did NOT look like a good time.

I'm glad that the antibiotics are helping! Though I know what a pain in the butt it is to have to take them 4 times a day (and on an empty stomach, no less!).

Hope you're feeling 100% better now!