Friday, June 25, 2010

Transfer!

I'm so happy to report that we had a successful single embryo transfer this morning. We had three 3-day embryos frozen individually and the first one that the lab thawed was viable (so we still have 2 embryos frozen). This embryo was initially rated an 8BF and after thawing, it was still rated an 8BF! (See here for my blog entry explaining this embryo quality rating.) This was the best news we could have received. My RE told me that only 50% of 3-day embryos survive thaw and they are considered viable even if 50% of the cells die. So the fact that the first embryo they thawed was viable and the fact that none of the cells died was FANTASTIC news!

I was really hoping that this was the embryo that would be chosen for us today. When I got pregnant from my fresh IVF cycle, it was from a 6AF embryo. My RE told me that if she had been the doctor on call that day, she would have chosen the 8BF for me instead. So now I get a chance to see what might come from this little embryo! What could have been my first child might now be my second child! It's all a little strange and hurts my brain when I think about it too hard.

Looking back at my blog entries, I discovered today that we did our transfer for Ian on June 24, 2008. So almost exactly 2 years later, we are doing another transfer. If this transfer results in a pregnancy and this pregnancy results in a baby, my due date will be Ian's birthday (since Ian was born 1 day after his due date)! Crazy stuff.

And now the 2 week wait begins (although I'll probably POAS in 8 days since with Ian, I got my first positive home pregnancy test, albeit extremely faint, 11 dpo). If anyone is out there and reading this, please cross your fingers for me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

congrats maddy! i'm crossing everything for you!