Saturday, May 9, 2009

Mother's Day Weekend

It is Mother's Day weekend and I'm excited about celebrating my very first Mother's Day! My sweet husband (and baby!) bought me an outdoor bonsai tree (an outdoor Satsuki Azalea) from Pro Flowers. I put it out on our front steps and I can't wait to see it flower.

Tonight, we are planning to take the baby out to an early dinner at Sweet Basil. We still have a $50 gift certificate left over from Hanukkah. (We had tried to go to Sweet Basil to celebrate my due date/achieving 40 weeks of pregnancy, but it would have been a 90 minute wait and instead we went to Fuji Steak House. My water broke 8 hours later!)

As a new mother, I'm amazed at how quickly the baby can change/learn. Ian first smiled at 6 weeks (proof here). But I couldn't get him to repeat that smile and when he did smile, it was at the ceiling or the wall instead of when he was looking at me. At 7 weeks, he started smiling more consistently and he was clearly making more eye contact and tracking our faces. And now, at almost 8 weeks, he is constantly smiling. If he is not sleeping or feeding, he is smiling. Just now, he started fussing...not because he was hungry and not because of gas but because he wanted attention. Daddy went over to play with him and out came the smile. It is amazing. Ian is a very happy baby. I feel extremely lucky.

No comments: