Friday, May 1, 2009

I Guess I Really Was Sliced Open

My exercise classes at the JCC started this week. On Wednesday mornings, I do a class called "Restore the Core" and on Friday mornings, I do a class called "StrollerFit." Both classes are geared towards new mothers and their babies. Before I got pregnant and had Ian, I would have found these classes inordinately easy. But man, being pregnant for 40 weeks (I refuse to say 9 months because women are pregnant for 10 months!) really did a number on my body. And it didn't help that my ab muscles got sliced open just under 7 weeks ago. I could totally feel the incision site when doing certain of the ab exercises. I didn't feel pain, but the incision wasn't letting me forget that I had an emergency C-section on March 16!

So now I sit here on the couch, with a heating pad on my twitching back muscles, whining to myself. Today, as part of the class, we did squats (fine), pushups (fine) and tricep exercises (also fine). But we also ran. Ran! Sometimes we ran with the stroller. Sometimes we ran without it. Either way, it hurt. It didn't hurt my feet, knees, legs or lower back. It SLAUGHTERED my breasts. I was wearing my regular sports bra (which fits correctly only right after I pump) and that just didn't cut it. I didn't have enough support. And I'm pretty sure that I could wear 8 of the sports bras and STILL not have enough support. Apparently, at least one other mother felt the same as me because I noticed that as she was running, she was holding her breasts up with her hands! I really wanted to do the same, but there were children playing at a nearby playground and I didn't want to be the one responsible for scarring them for life. For next week's class, I may have to break out an ace bandage and wrap myself up super tight. Or maybe duct tape will work? Either way, I have to come up with a solution.

1 comment:

Erica said...

Oh man! This post scares me. DH has already asked me if I'll be rejoining the gym after I deliver (still sounds weird and too early to think that there will be a baby at the end of this). I want to smack him! :) I know he only wants me to exercise to stay healthy, but c'mon...I haven't thought past this Tuesday's beta, how can I possibly be expected to think ahead 10 months?