Saturday, April 18, 2009

First Smiles?

Last night, I was tickling Ian when he was sitting in his bouncy seat and he looked at me and smiled three times. I think they were real smiles and not gas, but it's so hard to tell and I haven't been able to reproduce the smiles. He's almost 5 weeks old and so it's not inconceivable that they were real smiles. Part of me doesn't want him to grow any bigger, but part of me can't WAIT for him to interact with us.

We've been doing tummy time with Ian. He is holding his head up pretty nicely, although not for very long each time. We limit the amount of time he is on his tummy and turn him over when he starts fussing/crying (which makes tummy time last only 3-4 minutes).

I think the baby is starting to understand the difference between night and day. We've started keeping him unswaddled during the day and only swaddle him at night, which may help. But his feed cycles are every 3 or 3+ hours during the night and during the day, they tend to be shorter...more like 2.5 hours. Luckily, he seems to be getting over his gas issues. I stopped giving him the mylicon drops earlier this week and he doesn't seem to be missing them. I cut milk out of my diet about 4 days ago (although I didn't cut out dairy because I kept eating cheese and yogurt) and I'm going to reintroduce milk and see if it makes any difference in his fussiness/gas. There hasn't been any uncontrollable crying for at least 3-4 days now. I also ate spicy Indian food last night and Ian seems completely unaffected even 24 hours later. Now, his crying seems to be limited to the times when he is hungry, wanting attention or needing his diaper changed. What a good baby!

No comments: