Wednesday, April 15, 2009

10 pounds, 12 ounces and 22.25 inches at 4 weeks!

I took Ian to the pediatrician yesterday for his 4-week checkup. The boy weighed 10 pounds, 12 ounces! In 2 weeks, he gained 26 ounces (up from 9 pounds, 2 ounces) and he grew 1.25 inches (now 22.25 inches, up from 21 inches). All of his measurements (including head circumference) put him at the 75th percentile (up from the 50th percentile). I guess I grow 'em big! He thrived in my uterus and now he is thriving on my breast milk. It sure feels good! Otherwise, the doctor said he was healthy. He received his first Hep B shot and I have to start him on a multi-vitamin to make sure he gets enough Vitamin D (because Vitamin D apparently doesn't pass through the mother's breast milk).

On my way out of the doctor's office, I passed by a conference room and recognized two women from my childbirth education class (Stacie and Jamy). I stopped in and said hello and asked what they were doing there. Apparently, there is a mothers' group every Tuesday morning from 10 am to 12 pm. It was so fortuitous that I ran into them! So I decided to hang out with the group since I was only planning to go home and do laundry anyway. It was a fun 2 hours. And then we all went out to eat lunch in Framingham. It was hysterical when 6 women, all with strollers, walked into the restaurant. I'm sure all the other diners weren't pleased. There was a lot of loud talking, baby screaming/fussing and breastfeeding going on. I loved it! I finally got us home around 3:00 pm and boy, was I tired! It was a great, but long day. I'm definitely going back to the mother's group every Tuesday. It's nice to share stories and ask questions. There is also a nurse at each meeting and so I can weigh Ian each week when I go (since Ian doesn't go back to the doctor until his 2 month visit).

Two things that I learned from the mothers' group: (1) I MUST buy the Baby Trend Snap 'N Go stroller. It will be so much lighter and easier to fold up and put in my trunk and our Chico Key Fit 30 car seat will fit into it. (2) I want to buy a nursing cover. I think it would also be a good idea to pick up some Dr. Brown's bottles. Right now, we have tried bottle feeding three times, just using the Medela bottles that came with the pump and freezer storage kit.

I weighed 145.5 pounds this morning, which means I still have 3 pounds left to lose in order to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight. These last few pounds are definitely lingering and my body doesn't appear to be shedding them quickly. And I have a feeling that even if I lose 3 pounds, I'll still have a belly that I'll need to tighten and tone. My mother-in-law expressed to my husband that she wanted to feel more useful. So I've invited her to come babysit on Friday so that I can head to the JCC and go for a swim. I think this arrangement will make both of us happy. :-)

No comments: