Thursday, March 18, 2010

No More Nighttime Nurse

Now that Ian is 1 year old, I'm following through on my plan. I didn't nurse him before bed last night. We did our same pre-bedtime routine which involves dinner, changing into PJs and reading 3 bedtime stories. I then took Ian onto my nursing chair and cradled him while offering a sippy cup full of breastmilk. He pushed the cup away a couple of times but then finally drank a quarter of an ounce before completely refusing it. I put him in his crib and bam, he was asleep! So the lack of nursing did not seem to affect his ability to go to bed, which was GREAT! And my right boob (the only one I've been using lately) also made it through the night without too much discomfort.

The only crappy thing about last night is that Ian woke up at 3:45 am. I got up to give him the pacifier and something smelled really bad in his room. So I went to pick him up so that I could sniff his bum (to check for poop) and I realized he was soaked and that the smell was puke and not poop. Gross. This is only the second time that Ian has puked. So I woke my husband and we proceeded to take off all of Ian's clothes, wash him up a bit and change the sheets in his crib. I then gave him a little water and he went back to sleep until 5:30 am. He nursed and then slept until 7:15 am. I was kind of hoping he puked because he ate SO much that night, but he had a little temp (99.2) in the morning. Putting that together with him sleeping-in, I decided he was sick. So I told daycare to watch him, but he was fine all day. Of course, right before bed tonight, he had a little diarrhea. So now I have some proof that he has a little stomach bug. Sigh. He just got over a stomach bug! But he seems happy and isn't acting sick, which counts for a lot.

And we had a lot of success again tonight. After completely refusing the sippy cup with breastmilk, Ian went right to bed without a fuss. I miss the nursing, but I'm doing okay and I'm happy to be able to successfully follow through on my plan.

No comments: