Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Job Interview

I interviewed for a new job today at a medical device company.  I didn't get to meet the General Counsel (who would be my new boss if I got the job) because she canceled at the last minute due to illness, so that was disappointing.  But I met with 2 HR guys and the position seems quite promising.

Pros:  The company is about to become profitable and is growing rapidly.  I would be the #2 lawyer at the company and would be training to one day be a GC myself.  The product is genuinely helping a particular population of patients and the people at the company are very devoted to their work.  Face time isn't important and I'd be able to work from home 2 days a week.  I'd most likely have more regular hours and the days of working until midnight or even pulling all-nighters would end.  I wouldn't have to be at the company for a minimum period of time before qualifying for maternity leave benefits, which means that I won't have to delay any attempts at getting pregnant with #2 (although I'm still unclear about what the maternity leave benefits are).

Cons:  It's a 38 mile one-way commute (although doing it today in non-peak hours only took me 35 minutes and the company would most likely move closer to me in the next 1-2 years).  The building smells like an old oil furnace!  The HR guy promised me that they had the air quality tested and it was fine, but yuck!  I'm not sure how my sensitive nose would handle that, especially if I got pregnant!  The company's location is in a very non-desirable place.  Not much there besides liquor stores and auto body shops.  That's a big difference from being in downtown Boston.

The next step is for me to meet the GC, which will most likely happen at a breakfast meeting sometime in the next 1-2 weeks.  I know from experience that the interview process can take a really long time sometimes and so I'll just be patient and continue doing my current job as best I can.