Sunday, February 7, 2010

Apology to my Mother

We flew back to Boston this afternoon and had another good flight experience. Ian, who was grossly overtired from a grossly shitty night, slept for the first 2 hours on his grossly exhausted mommy. We...are...not...fans...of...teething. Ian has 2 more top teeth and one more bottom tooth coming in fast and furious. I can only hope that tonight goes better because I am facing a long day of work tomorrow.

I owe my mother an apology. The last time I wrote about her, I mentioned that she pulled her groin muscle and was fat and out of shape and blah blah blah. I'm so sick of thinking about and talking about her weight issues. Well, as it turns out, my mother did not have a groin pull. She spent most of my vacation in immense pain and was almost in tears getting up and out of her reclining chair. Getting to the toilet actually made her cry. Well, last Thursday, she got out of her chair and left brown blood behind. I asked her where the blood came from and she said that she thinks it came from her vagina. Now this was puzzling because my mom had a hysterectomy years ago so if it came from her vagina, what could possibly have been bleeding? So I asked her if she thought that perhaps she had a UTI and that the blood came from her urinary tract? She didn't think so.

Anyway, because of this new symptom and her recent bladder surgery, my dad took her to the hospital where they promptly told her she did not, in fact, have a groin pull. It turns out that she has cellulitis in her vagina and down her left leg. For those of you who don't feel like googling "cellulitis" it is apparently a skin infection. God knows how she got this. They said they often see this type of thing after the bladder surgery she had, but not 9 weeks later! It's really odd. But she needed to be admitted in order to get IV antibiotics and the last we heard, she may not be able to go home until this coming Wednesday! I feel so bad for her. I mean, I felt bad for her before. I knew she was in a ton of pain and she was trying to be as stoic as possible about it. She's not a complainer. But now I feel even worse because I was blaming all of this on her weight. And I know she must feel just freakin' awful that this happened while we were on vacation. Sigh.

I hope she feels better soon. The antibiotics are slowly working. The redness in her leg isn't growing and her white cell count is decreasing. Tomorrow, they will put her under general anesthesia in order to take a look around, especially to make sure that the sling they put in her bladder isn't infected. If it is infected, they'll have to take it all out and mom will be starting from scratch again. I hope that this will not be the case.

In other news, my son is a food whore. Last night he ate cantaloupe (for the first time), grilled chicken, grilled steak (for the first time), and grilled red pepper. Unbelievable. He was just shoveling it in. Now if he could only sleep as well as he ate!!!

No comments: