Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Florida Vacation

We're in Florida on vacation right now. It rained all day yesterday, but we're starting to get some good weather now. Hopefully, we'll get to go to the pool later today.

My mother who is grossly overweight and out of shape managed to pull her groin muscle right before we came down. How did she pull it? She was reaching for something in her pantry. How unbelievably pathetic. So now she's hopped up on pain pills and all she does is sleep in a chair all day and is totally cranky and snappy at my dad. She can't even get off the toilet herself and when she walks, she's using a walker. We probably would have canceled our vacation if we had any advance notice of this. I'm now on vacation but I have to cook dinner for myself and mom can't even babysit Ian while we go do things. And dad can't do fun activities with us because he has to stick around in case mom has to go to the bathroom or needs help.

Now, I know that I'm sounding very unsympathetic and well, I sort of am. I mean, I'm not happy that my mom is in a lot of pain. I hate seeing her like this. But she refuses to take care of her body. She has lost over 100 pounds more than once in her life and manages to gain it all back. She has a food addiction but refuses to seek counseling because only "crazy" people need therapy. She said that she had a gym trainer lined up to help her get into shape, but she refuses to go back to the gym until she's completely pain free. My sister tried to talk to her today about treating herself better and getting into better shape so that this type of crap doesn't happen, and my mom only had defensive answers. "People have injuries." Ayup (although generally while not reaching for a fucking box of pasta).

I long ago stopped trying to talk to my mom about getting healthy. I made more progress banging my head against a brick wall. It's very frustrating, but that's how it is. I have never had a meaningful discussion with my mom about her emotions or feelings. She's such a closed book. I wish things were different, but they aren't. I just have to love my mom for who she is as long as she's here with us. I just feel bad for my dad. He told me today that he's "gonna ditch" my mom and that he didn't sign up to be a nursemaid. I totally understand how he feels. This is the start of a long downhill road for my mother and my dad is vibrant, active and energetic. He plays tennis, exercises, stretches, watches what he eats and is all around healthy. My mom is basically a sloth. They are very mismatched but they have somehow made it this long together. But I'm not sure how long my dad can hang in there as my mom destroys her body with no intention of even attempting to change.

No comments: