Friday, January 22, 2010

Fever - For Realz

Ian is sick. He's had a lot of runny noses since he was 6 months old and I put him into daycare. And he's had one ear infection, which really wasn't terrible (except for the 10 days of the amoxicillin, 3x per day, during which time he really didn't want to eat or nurse). Oh yeah, and one episode of puking (which ended up with both my husband and me puking). But other than that, he's actually been pretty healthy.

But yesterday morning, he was sleeping unusually late and when I finally went to wake him (which I've NEVER had to do), he felt a bit hot. So I took his temperature and it was 101.3 degrees. Daycare's cut off is 101.5 degrees. So I gave him some Tylenol, crossed my fingers, hoped beyond hope that the fever was somehow related to teething (isn't everything related to teething?!) and sent him on his way to daycare. But we didn't get away with it. At 11 am, they called my husband to pick up Ian, who had a 102 degree fever. I left work on the early side and got home around 5:30 pm.

When Ian woke up this morning around 5 am, he was hot. Super hot. Ridiculously hot. We gave him some Motrin and I nursed him (and felt his hot face on my breast) and he went back to sleep. When we finally took his temperature around 7:45 am, it was 102 degrees. Sigh. Definitely not related to teething. So my husband and I both stayed home today so that we could tag-team the baby and both try to get some work done. But of course, neither of us ended up doing any work! As first time parents, we'll learn from this, I'm sure.

Other than the fever and runny nose, Ian seems okay. But he is definitely crabby, needy, Velcro baby that just wants to be held. And we're happy to be here to do that for him. If he still has a fever tomorrow morning, that will be 48 hours with a fever. I'll bring him to the doctor to make sure he doesn't have another ear infection. I'm hoping, hoping, hoping! he doesn't need antibiotics!

No comments: