Saturday, January 31, 2009

34 weeks!

Today, I am 34 weeks. I can't believe that I'm having this baby in 6 weeks or so. Part of me is thinking, man, 6 more weeks. That is such a looooooooooooooooong time. The other part of me is thinking, "holy crap!" Only 6 more weeks and I still have SO much to do! We really need to go to Babys R Us and exchange a lot of the newborn clothing we got as gifts. The clothes are so adorable, but most of them are only "up to 9 pounds" and I don't need 20 outfits. I am really hoping to find the same exact clothes and exchange them for 0-3 months or 3-6 months. And then I have to bring them home and wash them in Dreft. We also need to buy the rest of the stuff on our registry, which didn't get bought for the baby shower (like the mattress pad cover, changing pad cover and play mat).

I weighed 166.0 pounds today, which puts me at a total weight gain of 23.5 pounds. I don't seem to have gained weight recently and my appetite has been a bit off. I will ask the midwife about it when I see her on Tuesday. I think I'm supposed to be gaining 1 pound each week now, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

My co-workers have been asking me how long I will work. My answer is basically "until I go into labor as long as my doctor and health allow me to do so." I don't want to be sitting at home and waiting to go into labor. That will be pure torture. And I would rather have as much time as possible with the baby on the back end during maternity leave. A couple of partners have also asked me, "Are you planning to return after maternity leave?" And my answer is a definite and solid "yes." And they say, "Well, you might feel differently after you have the baby." Yes, that is true. I probably will feel differently. And I'll feel guilty that I have to go to work and not be with my child. But we also have a mortgage and expenses to pay and no matter what, I'm the one parent that will need to continue working. So whether I work at my law firm or get a different job elsewhere, I'll be working. Hopefully, I'll be able to sort through all the logistics of that during my maternity leave. Our best option at the moment is to hire a nanny.

No comments: