Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Happy New Year!

Sammy swung into 2012 on a healthy dose of antibiotics to get rid of an ear infection and periorbital cellulitis.  Luckily, she didn't need a second round of intramuscular antibiotics.  The antibiotics seem to have quickly cleared the infection, but unfortunately, it's wreaking havoc on her poor tummy.  There is poop in every single diaper, which has led to a bright red and sore bum.  I've been giving her probiotic and we have been feeding her yogurt, but it doesn't seem to help much.  The doctor said that it would be okay to do a 9-day (versus 10-day) course of antibiotics since she had the IM shots prior to starting oral antibiotics.  I'm looking forward to being done with the drugs.

Sammy still isn't crawling but she's trying very hard to do so and gets frustrated when she can't.  She wants to pull up very badly and likes to sit next to her play table, which allows her to pull up and play.


She's had 3 or 4 nights of very poor sleep.  And I think it's because she learned the new skill of pulling up.  She wakes up and wants to pull up and then gets pissed off that she can't.  Luckily, this phase seems to have passed and she's once again sleeping pretty well at night.  Last night, I only had to get up once around 4:15 am to give her a pacifier and she went right back to sleep.

Ian is doing well.  When I picked him up from preschool today, he didn't want to leave because he was engrossed in flipping through a book.  I happened to mention to his teacher how much he loved books and she agreed that he adored books.  She also mentioned that he is the only one in his preschool class with the attention span to listen to a long story being read, which makes me feel very proud since he's also the youngest in his classroom.  I honestly think Ian would let me read to him for hours if I could do so.  It will be great when he can read himself because he will always have that as entertainment instead of TV or video games.

I'm also very impressed with Ian's language skills.  He ran into Sammy's room the other day when I was changing her diaper and very quickly closed the door behind him.  As he was doing that, he said, "I closed the door hastily!"  When I asked him how he knew the word "hastily," he said that in the story the Frog Prince (one of the stories his daddy reads to him at nap time), the girl closes the door hastily.  That floored me.  Not only did he remember the word from the story, but he also used it correctly in context and he's not even 3!  A stranger in Stop N Shop also commented on how nicely he said the word "pomegranate."  For a boy who won't turn 3 until March, his speech is amazingly clear.  We can understand every single thing he says and it's not because we're his parents.  I'm so proud!

No comments: