Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Doctor's Appointment

I saw my OB yesterday.  She was very happy that a week had gone by without any further incidents.  She still doesn't want me going back into the office, but instead of being on modified bed rest, she said I could "putter around the house."  That means I can help with dishes, laundry, cooking and playing with my son, but I still can't go for walks outside or on shopping expeditions.  I suppose I should be happy about this, but it's getting awfully lonely sitting in an empty house all day.  I'm keeping busy because I'm still working, but I miss the personal interactions I get when in the office.  She said that if everything continued to go well, they would most likely schedule the C-section around 39 weeks.  So that could mean another 5 weeks of lying around the house.  I guess I'll just have to suck it up and deal so that this baby can have maximum cooking time.  :-)

And now here's a story that really highlights how you always need to be your own health care advocate.  Last Friday, I got a call from my OB's nurse telling me that I had an "infection" and needed to be on a 10-day course of ampicillin.  I said, "Huh?  What?  What body part is infected?  I can tell you right now that I don't have a urinary tract infection."  So the nurse said, "Hold on, let me check."  She then proceeded to tell me that I had a vaginal infection.  I assured her that I did not, in fact, have a vaginal infection and that something seemed wrong about the whole scenario.  She told me it was fine not to treat and that I could talk about it with my OB at my appointment.  So yesterday, I asked my OB what was going on.  It turns out that she thought the RECTAL swab they did on me at the hospital (to test for Group B strep) was a urine swab and they sent it out for culture.  So when it grew out E. coli bacteria, they just assumed I had an infection.  Medicine at it's best.  Of course my rectal swab grew out bacteria!  I'd be more concerned if it hadn't.  Anyway, I'm proud of myself for pushing back and not taking a completely unnecessary course of antibiotics.

No comments: