Thursday, April 14, 2011

Bleeding - Take 5

I was going strong. It had been 2 weeks since I had experienced any bleeding. I saw my doctor on Tuesday for a regularly scheduled appointment. I asked her if I could start doing a little bit more and she said it was okay for me to go out to dinner that night with a bunch of my mommy-group friends. And she also told me that I could go into the office for a half-day to "tidy things up" as long as I didn't travel during commute times. So I went to dinner Tuesday night and had a wonderful time with my friends (especially since I hadn't really left the house in 2 weeks). I got home and was talking to my husband in the kitchen around 11 pm and GUSH, I started bleeding. Sigh.

So I called the doctor's office and my husband called my mother-in-law to come stay with our sleeping toddler (since we knew the doctor would want us to come to the hospital). We headed into the hospital around 11:45 pm and after getting checked in, they put me on the monitor and did a careful internal exam. I was contracting every 3 minutes, but they didn't seem to be dilating my cervix. They hooked me up to an IV to give me some fluid and also gave me 2 pills of nifedipine to stop the contractions. After 3 hours of monitoring, I was no longer contracting and there was no new bleeding and we were able to get home around 3:30 am. Our poor toddler had woken up around 3 am and was confused as to why we weren't there. My MIL got him back to sleep in our bed, but then he woke up when we pulled into the garage. So from 3:30 am to 4:00 am, we were chatting with our 2 year old. He was definitely happy to have us home. Luckily, we were all able to sleep until 8:15 am.

But now I'm back on restricted activity, which means I can't even help my husband around the house.  I had some dark red bleeding until this afternoon and it finally seems to have stopped.  I'll cross my fingers that it won't start again.  In the meantime, my C-section has been scheduled for Monday, May 9.  I'm truly hoping that this baby will stay inside of me until that date. 

What's crazy is that one of my pregnant mommy group friends (who wasn't at dinner on Tuesday) ended up in the same hospital as me at the same time.  She is one week behind me and unfortunately, after a completely uncomplicated pregnancy, her membranes partially ruptured at 34 weeks.  So she's stuck in the hospital on massive doses of antibiotics to prevent infection and her doctors are hoping that she can make it until 36 weeks when they have to deliver the baby.  So her best case scenario is having a baby at 36 weeks.  I guess you never know what can happen.  I am thankful that I get to be home and resting on my couch and seeing my kid instead of stuck in the hospital.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Omg, I hate that this is happening to you! I'm glad you're home now resting with your hubby and son. Hang in there!