Friday, December 17, 2010

Fetal Survey - 18+ weeks

We had our fetal survey this past Wednesday at 18 weeks, 3 days.  While we were waiting for the doctor to come in, the baby was moving around quite a bit and so my husband put his hand on my belly.  I thought it was too early for him to feel her, but then she gave a whopper of a kick and he felt her!  Pretty cool.  The baby measured right on track and the ultrasound doctor didn't see anything amiss.  He spent a while trying to get the right angle to see all 4 chambers of the heart and was really digging into me with the ultrasound sensor.  My belly was all red and splotchy afterwards.  But eventually he was able to see everything.  And he confirmed that yes, we are having a girl.  Here is a profile picture:


The other good news is that the subchorionic hematoma that caused me to bleed at 15 weeks was gone (or at least it was no longer big enough to be picked up by ultrasound).  So hopefully, I will not have any more bleeding over the next 20 weeks.  This appointment also confirmed that I have a low lying placenta, but when my OB reviewed the ultrasound results, she said that the placenta was not covering the cervical opening.  So it's very likely that it will continue to move away from the cervix as the baby grows and my uterus expands.  I am no longer under any restrictions and can lift Ian when I want to now.  Hooray!

And with all of that good news, I am excited to be leaving for Cancun, Mexico tomorrow! I took yesterday and today as vacation days in order to shop, organize and pack.  Since we're traveling internationally, I wanted to be prepared for all contingencies.  So I have immodium for me and pedialyte/probiotics for Ian.  We are bringing books, paper/crayons, Sesame Street videos and other toys to keep Ian occupied on the plane.  And I think I might have packed enough snacks to feed a toddler army.  But I want to make sure we have enough snacks to keep Ian happy on the return flight too!  I can't wait to play with Ian in the pool and ocean.  Hooray!!!

No comments: