Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Meet the Midwives

Tonight, my husband and I went to Brigham and Women's Hospital to "Meet the Midwives" of the Harvard Vanguard practice. It was really useful and I feel even more strongly that I will pick a midwife to attend my labor and delivery rather than a doctor. I am happy that the doctors will be right there in the hospital if I need them. But I like the statistic that only 10% of the midwives' cases need a C-section, but 33% of cases hospital-wide get C-sections. And I found out that 70% of the midwives' patients choose to use epidurals and so I'm not forced into a natural birth just to use a midwife. All of the midwives seemed so knowledgeable and kind and I think I will be in very good hands.

Now I need to decide whether to have my mother in the labor and delivery room in addition to my husband. If she isn't there with me, she can't otherwise "visit" as visiting hours are only from 1 pm to 8 pm. But I'm not sure if her presence will be helpful or not. I'll have to think about this one.

No comments: