Monday, February 14, 2011

27 Weeks!

It's Valentine's Day today and I'm 27 weeks pregnant.  I'm celebrating by sitting here STARVING in the laboratory of my doctor's office while finishing up my 3-hour glucose test.  Why am I taking the 3 hour glucose test?  Because I FAILED the 1 hour glucose challenge.  I took the 1 hour challenge last week and scored a 146 (with the cutoff at 139).  I was actually pretty surprised to hear that I failed since I passed with flying colors (109) when pregnant with Ian.  But I guess each pregnancy is different and it probably didn't help that I ate a huge piece of peanut butter pie when out with a bunch of mommies the night before my 1 hour glucose challenge.  Duh!

So this morning, I got to the lab at 7:30 am, peed in a cup (to make sure there was no glucose in my urine), got poked once to measure my fasting blood sugar levels, drank the nasty orange drink, and got poked 1 hour later.  And I await 2 more needle sticks before I leave here.  4 needle sticks in roughly 3 hours.  My idea of a GREAT Valentine's Day!  After this, I'm heading into work (but not before eating the banana that is taunting me from my purse right now).  I would have liked to have worked from home today, but my sweet husband is sending flowers to my office and I want to be there to unwrap them and give them water.  I guess I can't complain about my husband sending me a gift.  :-)

At 27 weeks, I'm still up 19 pounds.  I haven't really gained much weight over the last couple of weeks, which is reassuring.  I've been trying to eat healthy, but it's been hard because my normal cravings for sweets have been heightened with this pregnancy.  Hopefully, I'll pass this 3-hour glucose test so that I can go back to eating my chocolate.  Otherwise, the next 13 weeks of pregnancy will be tough!

Baby girl is moving around quite a bit these days.  I've been watching my belly move while sitting in the lab.  It's pretty funny.  My only recent complaint is the wicked bad cramps I've been getting.  I often have what feels like super bad menstrual cramps and I don't remember feeling those when pregnant with Ian.  Last night, I had some that woke me up around midnight.  Right after the cramps subside, the baby starts moving like crazy.  So I don't know if she's doing something to cause the cramps or whether she's moving in reaction to the cramps.  Either way, the cramps make me nervous.  I don't know what they mean and given my prior episodes of bleeding, I'm still living in fear of going into early labor.  But step-by-step, day-by-day.  It is very reassuring to know that my baby would most likely survive if born now (albeit with a long road in the NICU).

1 comment:

Awise said...

I did my 1 hour glucose test today as well. I tortured myself last night at our Valentine's Day dinner & DIDN'T get desert =( But I have made up for it today with girl scout cookies!! Good luck today.