Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Cold Turkey on the Swaddle

First, the facts. At 18 weeks, Ian weighed 16.0 pounds.

We have gone cold turkey on the swaddle. I decided that this would be the right move since Ian has broken free of his swaddle for 4 nights straight and he was spending a lot of his sleep time attempting to get loose. The first night was fairly awful because we couldn't get him to fall asleep without the swaddle and then he got overtired. There was a lot of screaming. And even after he fell asleep, he woke up a lot needing the pacifier. But we're determined people and decided to try it again last night. We just needed a new bedtime routine without the swaddle.

My husband was working late and so I did this all myself. I fed Ian around 7 pm and he fell asleep on me. Crap. So I then woke him up by changing his diaper, put him in cotton feety pajamas (something we didn't do the night before) and read him a story twice (also new). I then rocked him in my arms while singing a lullaby to him. He got pretty sleepy and so I put him in his crib where he promptly started crying and flailing his arms. Swear words. I picked him up quickly (to avoid a repeat of the night before) and turned on the mobile and rocked him some more. He got sleepy again and this time, when I put him down, he stayed calm. I rubbed his belly for 1-2 minutes and he fell asleep at 7:30 pm. After this, he needed his pacifier twice before 8:15 pm, but then he slept until 12:30 am when he needed to feed. And then after that? After that? HE SLEPT UNTIL 6 AM!!! He didn't wake to feed. He didn't wake for a pacifier. It was bliss. I hope this happens again, but I know better than to say anything out loud because Ian likes to prove me wrong.

In other news, I've been swimming again and it feels great. The JCC has babysitting hours from 8:30 am to noon and it's only $4 for 1 hour! So I went for a swim this past Friday and Monday and swam 1500 and 1750 yards, respectively. Ian was a good boy for the babysitters and spent most of the time napping. I think the swimming has helped with my weight loss because I was 142.0 on the scale this morning. This is the lowest I've seen in a while. Unfortunately, I don't feel like I LOOK like I'm 142.0, which is my official pre-pregnancy weight. I still have a little bit of a gut and my thighs and ass still seem bigger. I think my shape may have changed permanently. I'm okay with this and it helps that my husband is so supportive. I just wish my clothes fit better. Oh yeah, I'm also a 36D instead of a 36C, which I found out when getting measured for a nursing bra. I hope these babies shrink when I'm done nursing!

No comments: