Tuesday, July 14, 2009

4 Month Stats

Ian is almost 4 months old and he had his 4 month pediatrician visit yesterday. He handled his vaccinations like a champ (with very minimal crying when the needle went in) and wasn't nearly as cranky afterwards as he was after his 2 month shots. His stats are pretty impressive:

Weight: 15 pounds, 11.2 ounces - 75th percentile
Height: 26.5 inches - 95th percentile
Head Circumference: 42.5 cm - 60th percentile

I'm still not quite sure how my husband and I produced this little man. I'm 5'5" and my husband is 5'10" so it's not like we're huge people. And Ian weighs more than either of us did at this age. But I won't complain. I'm very happy to have a healthy and strong baby. I just wish he would sleep through the night!

I'm getting incredibly bored being at home. I usually look forward to Tuesdays because that's when I go to mommy group. But most of the old crew is gone (on vacation or back to work) and the new mommies that have shown up all have such little babies and none of them want to go out to lunch afterwards. So today I took Ian to the library where I picked out 3 movies and 2 books. Since it's the summer time and there's really no good TV on at night, this should keep me occupied. :-) I also requested The Milk Memos, which was recommended to me.

I'm ticked at one of the nurses that attends my mommy group meetings. When I mentioned that I donated 200 ounces of breast milk to a mother in New York who couldn't produce enough milk for her baby because of insufficient glandular tissue (IGT), the nurse kept saying how she had never heard of privately donating milk and that it didn't seem like a good idea because there was no way to ensure that the milk was safe (and the mom was disease free). She said she could get comfortable with a milk bank because they screen donors and ensure the milk is safe. But milk banks pasteurize the milk (which basically kills all the good stuff in the breast milk) and on top of that, they SELL the milk to mothers in need! And frankly I don't care what this nurse could get comfortable with. Obviously, women who seek out breast milk donations think it's still a better choice than formula. I did a good thing by helping this woman and her daughter and this nurse was making me feel bad about it, like I participated in something unsavory. Screw her. Once I build up another frozen stash, I am planning to donate to a local MA mother who adopted a baby that was exposed to drugs in utero. I have an abundant supply of milk and it really makes me feel good to help others.

I'm really looking forward to our trip to Florida at the end of this month. It will be so nice to be around other people for a full week. And since the pediatrician told us that it was okay to start feeding Ian solids, I'm going to give him rice cereal for the first time with my mother. She'll get such a kick out of it!

No comments: