Thursday, January 20, 2011

Most Recent Ultrasound

After Friday's episode of bleeding, I followed up with my own OB on Monday.  Because of the holiday, I didn't hear back from my doctor until Tuesday when they told me that I needed to come into the office to be seen right away.  I said, "Okay, but what is the doctor going to at the appointment?  I mean, all she can do without an ultrasound is listen to the fetal heartbeat and I already know the baby is okay because I can feel her move." So they said, "Uhhh...you're right" and scheduled me for an ultrasound at Boston Ultrasound on Wednesday.  I guess it never hurts to be your own advocate.

The ultrasound was pretty cool.  I've never had an ultrasound this far along in pregnancy.  At 23 weeks, the baby was so much bigger!  And she was moving her mouth like she was talking to us and then she yawned a couple of times - so cute!  The ultrasound doctor said she weighs between 1 and 1.5 pounds now.  She took measurements of the head and the femur and the baby appeared to be measuring on track for gestational age.  The doctor couldn't find any reason for the bleeding (like a hematoma) other than the low-lying placenta.  Unfortunately, the placenta hasn't budged since our 18 week scan.  It is still very close to (or even on top of?) my cervix.  This doesn't bode well for my dreams of a vaginal delivery.  The doctor told me that there was still a good chance the placenta could move up because my uterus still had a lot of growing to do, so I'm crossing my fingers and holding out hope that a VBAC is possible.

Here are some pictures from our ultrasound.  The doctor was kind enough to do some 3D images for us (which I didn't even know was possible with their machines!)  The baby kept her hands up by her face the entire time and so the pictures aren't great, but I still think they're cool.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yay for another peek! and a 3D one too! cool!