Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Crud Continues

As I mentioned in previous posts, my kids have been sick a lot lately.  (As an aside, I still think it's really cool to say "my kids" meaning that (a) I have kids and (b) I have more than one!  It still makes me pause every single time my husband and I discuss who will be picking up "the kids" from daycare.)  Well, Sammy had pink eye and then she had a low-grade fever for a while, which eventually went away.  Even though her fever went away, she continued to get more and more congested.  And then in the middle of the night one night, she broke into an awful cough and had a fever of 101.6, which then went up to 102.2 by the morning.  Yikes!

So my husband took her to the doctor (it was his turn to stay home from the office with a sick kid) and the doctor didn't like what he heard in her lungs.  So he sent her for X-rays.  X-rays!  On my little happy smiley 5 month old daughter.  Ugh.  The doctor thought he saw a little spot of pneumonia in her lungs and so prescribed her a 10-day course of the lovely pink amoxicillin.  (The official radiologist report said the X-rays were negative for pneumonia but the doctor wanted to keep her on the antibiotics anyway based on the fact that her fever spiked and what he heard in her chest).  She got better fairly dramatically on the antibiotics.  Her fever broke the day after we started giving her the drugs and within 1 day, she was already breathing so much better.  So I'm happy we kept her on the antibiotics.  Tomorrow will be the last day we have to give her the antibiotics and I hope we all stay healthy for a while!

No comments: