Thursday, October 22, 2009

My son = PESTILENCE

I knew my son would get sick at daycare. And I knew I would catch what he brought home. But man...

I went back to work after my 6 month maternity leave and promptly got mastitis. Okay, so you can't blame that on the kid and daycare, but still, I wasn't happy about the 10 day course of antibiotics (and the hurty booby). Then Ian had some sort of head cold for what seemed like 1 month. Constant drippy nose. Constant snotty noises. Gross. And so what happened? I caught a cold. And then, it turned into a sinus infection. And guess what? I had to take another 10 day course of antibiotics, which I just finished yesterday. So this past Saturday, after not feeding well all day, Ian decided to hork his dinner all over me just as I was putting him in his crib for the night. Puke all over me and puke all over the carpet. Daddy helped clean up. I didn't think anything of it. I thought Ian just choked on his spit and gagged and threw-up. I mean, he wasn't acting sick and he was totally fine the next day. So I get on a plane to NY on Sunday night for a business trip. I wake up on Monday morning to IMs from my husband..."I woke up at 4 am with diarrhea and at 5:30 am, I horked everywhere and didn't even make it to the bathroom." GREAT. I think "Oh my god are you okay and holy shit am I going to get this pestilence too?" I crossed my fingers that I would stay healthy since I was on a business trip. I was totally fine on Monday. On Tuesday morning, around 4 am, I woke up in the Hyatt hotel room feeling nauseous. Hmmm...it was nothing. I went back to sleep until 6:30 am when my alarm woke me up. Pretty nauseous now, but I bet a shower will fix it, right? I get out of the shower...really nauseous. But I have to start my day, right? So I climb into bed and start pumping and just in case I was actually sick (I wasn't, right?) I brought the bathroom garbage can with me. About 2 minutes after starting my pump, uh oh, sure enough, I'm sick! Darnit. Sorry if this is TMI, but that awesome lamb burger I had for dinner the night before did not taste good 8 hours later. Sigh. And I think I hit a new low by puking while pumping! Needless to say, I didn't actually work on Tuesday and managed to drag my feverish ass onto the 12 pm shuttle back to Boston.

Thank god we are all healthy at the moment...until the next plague hits. At least we got Ian his second seasonal flu shot this morning. Now if we can all just avoid H1N1!

No comments: