Thursday, March 20, 2008

I have all my Organs!

I went in for an ultrasound to make sure that (a) I had all the organs I should have and (b) that my uterus was the correct size and shape. I was particularly nervous for this exam because of my sister's history of unicornuate uterus (in addition to missing a fallopian tube and a kidney). I had to have a full bladder for the exam and they said drink 24 ounces one hour before the exam. Not having been through this before, I followed their instructions and downed 24 ounces of water 1 hour before the exam was scheduled (which actually made me slightly nauseous). My husband drove me to the appointment and in about 45 minutes, I was DYING. I had to go to the bathroom really really really badly! Luckily, the sonographer took me 5 minutes early and I found out that I had both kidneys (yeah!) and that I had all of my organs.

I was then allowed to go empty my bladder, which was a very pleasurable experience and more relieving than finding out that I had all my organs. After that, they used a vaginal probe to examine my ovaries and uterus. It turns out I had a very slight heart-shaped uterus and my ovaries had a TON of small follicles. The term PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) came up and I started freaking out a bit because I know that women with PCOS have a very difficult time getting pregnant. I was also confused because I didn't have any other symptoms of PCOS. I was ovulating and getting my period on a somewhat regular basis (30-34 day cycles), I wasn't overweight and my hormone levels were where they should be.

The next step was meeting with the fertility doctor. Fun fun.

No comments: