Saturday, April 4, 2009

No More Parents, But Successful Bottle Feed!!

My parents left this morning. They had been here for 3 weeks to help out, although for the first 4 days after Ian's birth, I only saw them when they came to visit at the hospital. The last 2 weeks with them were amazing. They did all the shopping and cooking. My mother kept me very well fed, which I needed because I was absolutely starving from the breastfeeding! My father kept himself busy fixing up the basement. He loves his projects! He re-sanded and re-painted the walls, stained the wood shelves and doors and installed the Pergo flooring. I no longer have to cringe when I walk down the steps to the garage. Instead of seeing knotty wood pine walls and cracked and dirty brown/beige floor tiles, I see beautifully painted, light yellow walls and flooring that looks like real wood. I absolutely love it. I was extremely sad to see my parents go. I started crying and made my mom and dad tear up too. Not only will I miss the help that they offered, but I'm going to miss their company. It sure will be lonely here without them (especially when my husband is at work during the weekdays). I am already looking forward to their next visit at the end of May.

In other news, Ian is almost 3 weeks old. Since his birth, he has consistently latched well to my breast and I think that I've clearly established a good (if not overabundant) milk supply. So we decided that today would be the day to try bottle feeding for the first time. Ian's pediatrician warned us not to wait too long and so we made today the day. Daddy used one of the Medela nipples that came with the pumping bottles we bought and Ian took it immediately and like a champ.



He drank 3 ounces and didn't seem to care that (a) he wasn't feeding from a breast and (b) that I was in the room (and taking pictures like a mad woman). Now we just have to figure out how much bottle feeding we should do in order to make sure that Ian takes both breast and bottle easily. If anyone is out there and reading my blog, do you have any thoughts or experience on this?

No comments: